A good friend of mine is an avid collector. Every weekend, he sails in his boat all around the Suwannee River in search of buried treasures. As of today, he has an extensive collection (or so he says) of shark teeth and Indian arrowheads.
He is not the only treasure hunter that I know of. I have seen men and women searching for coins, rings, chains, etc. with fancy metal detectors at the beach. There are also professional divers that have discovered sunken ships and their plentiful (and valuable) bounty.
In this world, people are always searching for almost anything, except God. They look for love, fame, riches and happiness and find very little of it. Romans 3:11 declares that, “There is none who seek after God.”
In Matthew 7:8, we are told that “he who seeks finds” but the question is, what should we seek or search for? I offer a few suggestions according to the Bible:
- Wisdom --- (Proverbs 2:4, 5) “If you seek her as silver, And search for her as forhidden treasures; Then you will understand the fear of the Lord, And find the knowledge of God”
- The Scriptures --- (Acts 17:11) “These…received the word with all readiness, and searched the Scriptures daily to find outwhether these things were so.”
- God --- (Jeremiah 29:13) “And you will seek Me and find Me, when you search for Me with all your heart.”
- The Kingdom --- (Matthew 6:33) “Butseek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness…”
- The Well Being of Others --- (Philippians 2:4) “Let each of you look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others.”
These are the treasures we must search for every day. Fame lasts a few minutes, but Faith opens heaven’s doors; Wealth will evaporate, but the Word of God endures forever; happiness is just a mirage, but Heaven is our eternal Paradise and all the lust of this world shall perish, but the Love of God will be our faithful companion in eternity.
What are you searching for today?